Wednesday 12 January 2011

The Imminent Arrival



Motherhood is looming, and about to be thrust upon me sometime in the next two weeks. I wish I could have a more specific timeframe but it's a lesson in patience I'll have to bear.

I'm currently inhabiting a strange space, eager for the creature to arrive, yet wanting to hold off that whole life-changing experience for as long as possible. This is for more than the obvious reasons - we've still got a fair bit of renovation to complete on our home.

My husband, B, has been working around the clock to get as much of the work, started about two years ago now, finished. Our initial plans hadn't included a nursery room and we were working around a lodger, so we suddenly had an additional two rooms to overhaul and all the expense that comes with it.

Anyhow, I'm pleased to say that it's going very well. Being our first, she (yes, she!) is likely to make a late appearance, giving us some much-needed time for the final preparations. Those might possibly make some hilarious famous last words!



So, what hopes do I find myself having for you, little one? 

I hope that you will always know that you are loved, and never fear abandonment.

I hope that you can learn to love life and take all the opportunities and adventures it has to offer.

I hope that you will have joy and compassion for others, and a desire to participate.

I hope that you develop a love of learning and excitement at new experiences.

I hope that you have the eloquence, warmth and tenderness of your Daddy.

And I really hope that you don't inherit my feet. You poor child.


2 comments:

  1. Such a good serious post...and such a laugh at the end. You know the value of a well-timed joke :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this. It has a beautiful and timeless feel. Best wishes with all to come!

    ReplyDelete

What sayest thou?